Saturday, May 28, 2005

Wodehouse on Artists

Since one of my six readers professes himself a fan of Plum, and since, well, one might as well please the readers one has...I proffer this brief selection of Wodehouse quotes on art and the business thereof.

“Poets as a class are business men. Shakespeare describes the poet’s eye as rolling in a fine frenzy from heaven to earth, and giving to airy nothing a local habitation and a name, but in practice you will find that one corner of that eye is generally glued on the royalty returns” (Uncle Fred in the Springtime138).

“Although in the vers libre days in Greenwich Village she had gone in almost exclusively for starkness and squalor, even then she had been at heart a sentimentalist. Left to herself, she would have turned out stuff full of moons, Junes, loves, doves, blisses and kisses. It was simple that the editors of the poetry magazines seemed to prefer rat-ridden tenements, the smell of cooking cabbages, and despair, and a girl had to eat” (The Return of Jeeves 68).

“About this time there was a good deal of suffering in the United States, for nearly every boat that arrived from England was bringing a fresh swarm of British lecturers to the country. Novelists, poets, scientists, philosophers, and plain, ordinary bores; some herd instinct seemed to affect them all simultaneously. It was like one of those great race movements of the Middle Ages. Men and women of widely differing views on religion, art, politics, and almost every other subject; on this one point the intellectuals of Great Britain were single-minded, that there was easy money to be picked up on the lecture-platforms of America, and that they might just as well grab it as the next person.
“Mrs. Hignett had come over with the first batch of immigrants; for, spiritual as her writings were, there was a solid streak of business sense in this woman, and she meant to get hers while the getting was good. She was half-way across the Atlantic with a complete itinerary booked, before ninety per cent of the poets and philosophers had finished sorting out their clean collars and getting their photographs taken for the passport (The Girl on the Boat 9-10).

“I’ve just finished my new novel. Fairly good, I think, but what does it prove? I sometimes wish I wrote that powerful stuff the reviewers like so much, all about incest and homosexualism” (Yours, Plum 161).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous:

Ya, hi there uh Jackmormon is it?
I just found your blog called Wodehouse on Artists. I've been scouring the net the last while looking for various types of ebook quality resale rights . As you read, my grammar is not too excellent!! LOL - (:--).

Do you have any ebook quality resale rights ? You do anything with it?

I've been selling mine online. Been having to learn tons. Blech!
So far all I've been able to get done is put them into a
membership at: http://www.TonOFeBooks.com .

Must run, it's getting late and I must learn to short post hey!

Smile on Jackmormon !
Have a super nice day,

Chad again.

10/25/2005 12:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous:

Mighty Blogalicious, blog posting to you Jackmormon !
I'm always looking for more e book with resell right . Watch out for my BAD grammar! (:--)
Do you have any e book with resell right on your Wodehouse on Artists blog?
Curious to how you've been using your's if you have any - ever sold any?
Here's what I did with mine: http://www.TonOFeBooks.com .
Have a kick butt day and don't let the bad bloggers get you down !

10/28/2005 02:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous:

Ya, hi there uh Jackmormon is it?
I just found your blog called Wodehouse on Artists. I've been scouring the net the last while looking for various types of ebook author ebook resell right . As you read, my grammar is not too excellent!! LOL - (:--).

Do you have any ebook author ebook resell right ? You do anything with it?

I've been selling mine online. Been having to learn tons. Blech!
So far all I've been able to get done is put them into a
membership at: http://www.TonOFeBooks.com .

Must run, it's getting late and I must learn to short post hey!

Smile on Jackmormon !
Have a super nice day,

Chad again.

10/30/2005 03:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home