Sunday, April 01, 2007

Saffron Almond Brittle


I've been making this recipe for so many months now that I assumed I knew it by heart already, but then I tried to make it without Batmanglij's Persian cookbook to hand and completely fouled it up. So, in the interest of mobility and sharing...










Saffron Almond Brittle

Ingredients:
--1 cup sugar
--3 T. honey
--4 T. corn oil
--1.5 cups slivered almonds
--1/4 tsp. ground saffron in...
--2 T. rose water
--4 T. chopped pistachos

Step One:

After grinding the saffron and putting it in the rose water to infuse, prepare a bowl of ice water. Just put it next to the oven range.

Step Two:

Over medium heat, combine sugar, oil, and honey in a heavy pot. Let cook for about five minutes, stirring constantly. You want all the element to combine and liquify.

Step Three:

Add the almonds, and let them cook (while stirring!) for about 2-3 minutes, until the mixture is firm and golden.

Step Four: (Here's where the timing gets important)

Add the saffron/rosewater mixture, and let the whole mixture cook (while stirring!) for about 2-4 minutes, until it is golden-brown in color. It may be excitingly frothy. At this point, drop a little bit into the ice-water: if it hardens instantly, then you've got to GO! GO! GO!

Step Five:

Turn the heat down. Drop teaspoonfuls of the VOLCANICALLY HOT almond mixture onto parchment paper. Garnish immediately with chopped pistachios. Allow droplet brittle to cool and harden on the paper for ten minutes or so; store in airtight container to make it really brittle.

Then, foist it on your bridge group! It's vegan!

8 Comments:

Blogger Ben W:

I have the same bowls you do, except brown instead of black.

4/05/2007 12:35:00 AM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

Those are my roommate's bowls, though I wish they were mine.

I would also like to take this opportunity to emend my post: this brittle is vegan only if the vegan eats honey, which some of them don't.

4/05/2007 12:33:00 PM  
Blogger Ben W:

What if you collect the honey from abandoned natural hives?

4/07/2007 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

You'd still be alienating the bees' labor.

4/08/2007 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger Ben W:

I guess I can understand the vegan position.

4/09/2007 01:32:00 AM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

Such an excellent thread that was, and so disturbing.

4/09/2007 05:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous:

I don't remember the priest telling me when I went to Confession when I was a kid, "Well, Lance, it was wrong of you to disobey your mom and talk back to her like that, but since you set the table every night and do your homework and sent your aunt a birthday card, what the heck! You're a good kid. Your sins are forgiven automatically. No need for you to do any penance."糖尿病 糖尿病 心脑血管 文秘 糖尿病症状 糖尿病饮食 妊娠糖尿病 糖尿病治疗 糖尿病并发症 糖尿病足 糖尿病药物 低血糖 胰岛素 血糖仪 胰岛素泵 什么是糖尿病 并发症治疗 糖尿病急救 糖尿病中医治疗 糖尿病常识 糖尿病食谱 糖尿病的预防 糖尿病人饮食 糖尿病肾病 And maybe it's happened a few times and I haven't heard about it but I can't recall a judge ever letting somebody walk on the grounds the crook was a good guy and his friends really like him.

5/11/2007 03:06:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown:

This is like my fourth time stopping over your Blog. Normally, I do not make comments on website, but I have to mention that this post really pushed me to do so. Really great post .

towing company addison

8/28/2012 08:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home