Friday, August 18, 2006

Last Post from the Middle School Records Series

In the first post from this series, which is now ending, I promise, there was a reference to "G"--the "nice guy who ways a bit to much" who I didn't go with.

Well, here's a note from G. (grammar, punctuation, and spelling from the original)
Dear [Jackmormon],
I like you a lot I should have gone with you the first time instead of going with at slut B.. I don't blame you for hating me I was a fool. I liked dancing with you at the dance. What I'm trying to say is will you go with me.

Love,
G.
P.S. Write back My locker number is [xxxx]
Now, I remember this episode, or somewhat. My diaries from the period, back at my parents' house, have a number of angry entries about it, which I reread with great embarrassment about eight years ago.

See, while I was at the time unimpressed that G. had called B. a slut, I was also mad that G. had gone with B. because I thought she was kind of a slut. She french-kissed him! In front of everyone! And she was wearing another boy's Starter jacket at the same time!

So, no, I didn't go with him. What I can't remember is whether I had the courage to tell him so myself.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous:

Yes, he made an irretrievable error, and now we know that he did indeed way too much. Do you remember in some way being gratified, as well as angry and disappointed, that he wanted to make up to you and realized his mistake? Seems pretty verifying to me.

8/19/2006 10:01:00 AM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

Yes, I was pretty gratified, except that it seemed clear that boys would go for the less prudish girls first...

8/22/2006 05:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous:

Did you have any close friends in junior high, J.?

8/25/2006 08:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous:

I should rephrase that -- did you have any close friends in junior high who remained your close friends? Your contemporaneous sense of distance from the people you're writing about while still being on the fringes of the in-crowd is fascinating, since my junior high years were the standard nerdboy package of one part Dungeons and Dragons, one part video games, and three parts desperately longing after popularity.

8/25/2006 08:06:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

I would say, guardedly, yes. I had friends who had been friends for years, and I made friends who remained friends for at least a couple of years.

But none of them were as awesome as my older sister. (A friend and I enlisted her to play DM for us once. It was so much more fun to play interactive story with her than to roll some stupid die, no matter how many sides it might have.)

8/26/2006 02:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous:

And yet it seems to have been the preferred phrasing at JM's middle school. Puzzling.

9/10/2006 04:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home