Monday, March 06, 2006

Goodwill on 79 b/t Bwy and Amsterdam

Sharing this one is sheer altruism on my part; I wouldn't do it if I didn't think that my few readers lived far away. However, if you live in NYC or plan to visit this fair city, you might want to check this second-hand store out.

Upper-Westside ladies have expensive but not always aesthetic tastes. They tend to donate what they have, and that's a pretty big range of wonders and crap. Unlike the second-hand stores I've been to downtown or in Brooklyn, this store isn't as regularly picked over by hipsters. If you go there regularly, you may be the first hipster to consider an item!

I've found some real wonders, like the Alaia skirt at $4.50, or the perfect stilleto boots in my size at $8.Just today I picked up a Kenneth Cole lined wool skirt and a Calvin Klein knit top for $2.99 each. I write this trusting that my circulation is in the low single digits...

3 Comments:

Blogger Marilee Scott:

No, I haven't looked too closely; menswear is in a separate room, which unfortunately smells a little funky. I've seen a few nice-looking coats and knitted sweaters there, but my general experience is that men's used clothing isn't in as good shape as women's. Again, though, I haven't spent much time browsing for men's things.

(But I thought you lived in the Bay Area! Used clothings stores there are much better than in NYC.)

3/07/2006 01:24:00 PM  
Blogger dutchmarbel:

I wondered what kind of goodwill towards Amsterdam you were describing :)

3/13/2006 03:31:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

Used clothing in Berkeley--almost as good as les puces de Montreuil.

If you have free time in NYC outside the Unfogged meatup, shoot me an email (warning: I can be annoyingly slow, as in 2-3 days, to read my Jackmormon email). I'm in the process of, um, reconfiguring my career expectations, and so I might not feel guilty about doing something fun like going to a museum or going gallery-diving.

3/14/2006 12:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home