Sunday, May 01, 2005

Thanks, I Think

Hilzoy makes available on her webpage the disturbing "I'm a Mormon" marching band song, as trilled by Janeen Brady and the Brite Singers. Thanks for pointing me over, Hilzoy. No really. I'll never get that bloody song out of my head now!

Refrain
I'm a Mormon, throo and throooo,
And if you think that I'm peculiar in the things I say and dooooo
I know the rules, the do's and don't for happy happy living
I know to say I will and I won't, I try to be forgiving
Maybe you'd like me to tell you about the things I know are trooooo
Then you can be a mormon toooo.

It's kind of brilliant. It moves from the "yeah, so I'm part of a fringe religious movement so get over it" to the "no, really, you'd like it too come on down to the cultural center" in an incredibly compact time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maddie:

Good lord I didn't even hear the song and I'm sure I'll be singing it for the next week. I was raised Mormon and the songs of my childhood seem to be trickling back into my mind like a bad acid trip lately.

7/25/2005 01:53:00 AM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

Funny: I was raised Mormon as well, but I had never heard this song until Hilzoy inflicted it on me.

Other songs from my childhood have been flitting through my head incessantly this past year, though--stress? I eventually asked my (still-observant) mother for an LDS songbook so that at least the fragments of melody and "um-tiddly-ums" could get coherent words.

I have generally tried to accept the fact that my hindbrain retains a great deal of Mormon-themed songs. Better that than not knowing any sing-alongs, maybe...

The most frequent throwbacks:

"I need thee every hour"

"I stand all amazed"

"Called to serve"

"True to the Faith"

And then two I can't find in the hymnbook: "The Children of God" and "Love is Spoken Here."

Many of these are marching songs. I walk a lot. I'm trying to learn new marching songs: so far I've interiorized Brecht/Weil's "Kannonenleid" and "La Marseillese." More to be done, I think.

7/25/2005 08:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home