Monday, June 27, 2005

Now I'm beginning to get paranoid...

I literally get over twenty emails per week from "PayPal" and "Ebay" customer representatives. According to them, my account is continually under threat of being suspended and/or vulnerable to haxxors. To reiterate, I have never knowingly signed up to either service. Increasingly, however, as I see a few seemingly authoritative emails, I wonder whether some of the online services that "Jackmormon" has signed up for might not have involved a genuine automatic registration with one or two genuine services.

(Don't worry: I remain skeptical enough of all of these emails to delete almost all with even opening them, and I've never opened an attachment or sent any information--knowingly--to anyone.)

So here's the question de jour: does anyone know whether opening a blogger account registers one with either PayPal or EBay? does opening a yahoo email account trigger such mechanisms?

With blog comments, these are practically the only exposures my email has. Any thoughts?

3 Comments:

Blogger John Emerson:

I get the same things you do, plus a few real ones. The real ones address me by my real name I signed up with. The fake ones say "Dear valued customer". They can spam emails but not, so far, salutations.

6/27/2005 10:40:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

So, if I never gave out my real name, I should be in the clear?

Neither blogger nor yahoo have my real name, so I'm left wondering whether they might have sold my info to Paypal or EBay, signed me up automatically for an account, or something.

Still, I'm relieved to know that actual users have some safeguard against this torrent of spam.

6/28/2005 11:58:00 PM  
Blogger Roberto Iza Valdés:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/06/2005 11:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home