Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Well...

Rather than welcome John Bolton to NYC, rather than rail against Pataki for selling out NY women, and rather than actually deliver on my promise of really good posts just around the corner, I am leaving for a week's vacation away from the internet entirely.

It's not exactly vacation, however, because it's going to involve about fifty Mormon relatives. This will be rather complicated. I am determined to avoid conversations about:
1. politics
2. marriage and sex
3. my dissertation
4. religion
If my family didn't most want to talk about the under-seven crowd, I would worry that I wouldn't be able to talk about anything at all!

The good news is that I'll see some serious rocks and trees. As Jane Austen wrote in P&P, with all irony: "what are men to rocks and mountains?" I'll get to sail--even though lake-winds are never as exciting as ocean-winds--and I'll get to wander in wilds wild enough to imagine nature before people. Residents of New York City often need to be reminded that the world is not divided into paved or landscaped. A tree in Brooklyn is a sacred symbol; a tree in California is cover in a game of capture the flag or kick the can.

And then I'll have a couple of days in the Tule-fog summer of the Bay Area before I head into the dry heat of the Sierras--this will be very heaven compared to the polluted sauna of NYC.

(Can you tell by my positive qualifiers how nervous I am about the Mormon family reunion?

2 Comments:

Blogger Marilee Scott:

Thanks for the kind words. Stop by again!

8/14/2005 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

Zaira's site is not work-safe, btw.

Do link-bots target sites with the word "vacation" in them?

8/14/2005 10:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home