Monday, June 05, 2006

Updating

I finally managed to bring myself to throw out almost all of my old cassette tapes.

Here's what I kept:
--the industrial-rock soundtrack to my high-school production of Hamlet I like to clean to.
--the 1990s Brit-pop mix from an ex-boyfriend that keeps me strutting when I feel shitty.
--a break-beat mix from now-obscure LPs that make me want to jog, then dance, then jog.
--a mixtape with silly lounge coverband "MikeFlowersPops," Ken Nordine, and the Paris Combo.
--a Tori Amos mix from my undergrad roommate.
--Bjork's jazz-combo import "Gling-Glo."
Below the fold, what I threw away.
Air. “Moon Safari.”
Howie B. “Turn the Dark Off.”
Backspin. “Witch Man.”
Beastie Boys*
Boards of Canada.
David Bowie. “Singles, 1969-93”
DJ Cam. Comp.
Betty Carter. “Finally”
Chopin. “Nocturnes”*
Coldcut.
Company Flow. 2nd Album. “Funcrusher.”
The Cure. “Disintegration.”
The Cure. “Standing on a Beach.”
Cowboy Junkies. Comp.
Cup of Tea.
Daft Punk. “Homework”
Depeche Mode 101* (2. Vol.)
The Doors. Comp. “Best Of.”*
Jacques Dutronc. “gold” and “best of”
English Beat. “What is the English Beat?”
Eurythmics.*
Adam F. “Colors.”
Pink Floyd. Early Comp.
Pink Floyd. “Wish You Were Here.”
Pink Floyd. “The Wall”*
Aretha Franklin. Comp.
Hardkiss Brothers. “Delusions.”
PJ Harvey. “To Bring You My Love.”
PJ Harvey. “Rid of Me.”
Headz, Vol II.
Hendrix. “Ultimate Experience”*
KRS.-I. “I got net.”
Etta James. “Tell Mama.”
Janis Joplin. “Janis”*
Jazzmatazz. “Vol. II.”
Ken Ishi. “Jelly Tones”
DJ Krush. Comp.
Maas. “Latitude.”
Jeff Miles. “Axis Comp.”
Charles Mingus.
Ninja Tunes. Comp. (3 disk.)
Nirvana. “Nevermind”*
The Orb. Comp.
Sinead O’ Connor. “I haven’t got...”
Sinead O’ Connor. “Lion and Cobra”
Sinead O’ Connor. “Lion & the Cobra”*
Charlie Parker. “Essential.”
Pet Shop Boys. Comp.
Photek. “Form and Function.”
Photek. “Modus Operandi”
Prince & the NPG*
Pink Floyd. “Dark Side of the Moon”
Pink Floyd. “Final Cut”
Plaid. “Lohel” (?) “Warp.”
Primus. “Sailing the Seas of Cheese.”
Primus. “Frizzle Fry,”
Prince. Comp.
Red Hot Chili Peppers. “Mother’s Milk.”*
REM. “Automatic for the People.”*
Rolling Stones. Comp.
Salsa. Comp.*
Roni Size. “New Forms”
DJ Shadow. Comp.
Luke Slater. “Free Funk.”
The Smiths. “Hatfill of Hollow.”*
The Smiths. “Meat is Murder.”*
Smiths. “Strangways.”
Smiths. “Queen.”
The Specials. “Singles.”
Squarepusher.
State of the Nu Art.
2 Lone Swordsmen
Tango Del Sur.
Tricky. “Maxinquaye.”
U2. Various Comp.
Violent Femmes*
Wham. “Make It Big”*
The Who. “Meaty Beaty...”*
Tom Waits. “Raindogs.”
Tom Waits. “Frank’s Wild Years.”
Led Zepplin. Comp.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous:

But why the asterisks? *?

6/06/2006 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

Ah. Yes. Forget that part.

The asterisks indicate non-dubbed cassettes, as in cassettes that were actually bought at the store.

I don't know which it's sadder: contemplating the albums I spent money on, or realizing that I hung onto dubbed cassettes for all these years.

6/06/2006 03:29:00 PM  
Blogger CharleyCarp:

A funny thing is how sometimes you have Pink Floyd as an F and sometimes as a P.

You sound almost liberated by the exercise of disposing of this stuff. Was it oppressing you? Or do you just need the space?

(I have 3 grocery bags full of books to get rid of. Some for space, some because I'm mad at the authors for tricking me into buying the book.)

6/06/2006 05:34:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

This has got to make the seventh time I've tried to respond here: stupid Blogger.

Possessions can be tremendously oppressing! These cassette tapes, besides gathering dust and reminding me of all the people who'd dubbed them for me, also only worked half the time, at that. I kept feeling this obligation to try to find a cheap way to convert them to digital, even though I knew some of them would be irrevocably damaged and that converting them would be hideously time-consuming if not expensive. "You should, you should, you should" can finally be solved by GONE.

The liberary-cart full of books to my right will probably be solved in a similar manner, although I still harbor fantasies of a stoop-sale.

6/08/2006 08:52:00 PM  
Blogger rilkefan:

I may have a spare copy of Gling-Glo on cd because the poor guy who I bought it from on half.com was in Estonia or somewhere and the first cd he sent took forever to get to me, so long that I complained...

6/11/2006 10:15:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

I would ask you if I could arrange somehow to take that spare CD off your hands, but I suspect it would be more complicated than it's really worth. It's an expensive import, though, which, besides really liking the album, is why I didn't throw away the cassette in the Great Purge.

6/12/2006 09:21:00 AM  
Blogger Gary Farber:

Possibly next time you consider throwing stuff like that out, you might wish to consider taking a moment to contemplate donating such stuff somewhere, rather than garbaging it.

There is no shortage of people who can't afford to buy music, for instance, and would enjoy even tapes, even dubbed, if it were music they liked.

Just a thought for the future, not a guilt-trip.

"The liberary-cart full of books to my right will probably be solved in a similar manner, although I still harbor fantasies of a stoop-sale."

Similarly.

I don't recall what the NYC libraries' policies are on donations -- I seem to have a vague recollection they might not take them -- but plenty of libraries elsewhere do (here in Boulder, for instance); there's also always just dumping them at a used-book store, which still keeps them circulating.

6/13/2006 05:46:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

No, I won't throw away the books. Much more so than with the dubbed cassettes--which go unsold at the local Goodwills and Sally Armys--I do believe that the books should and could get more use. I haven't abandoned my stoop sale fantasies (yet), but if or when I wash my hands of them, I'll either leave an anonymous garbage bag- (or four) full inside the door at the library or try to persuade some of my sidewalk book-vendor aquaintences to take them.

6/19/2006 01:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home