Friday, August 18, 2006

Google Bought Blogger, and Now It Sucks

There are many things that suck in my life right now--job searching and apartment searching would be at the top of that list--but the sheer lousiness of the Blogger Beta interface is the most needlessly annoying.

Far be it from my to claim that the old Blogger was bug-free, but here's how it's working, ever since I got a gmail invite. The Blogger log-in page instantly de-recognized my Yahoo!mail address, even before I set up my new gmail account. After I set up my gmail account--in my real name, which was the whole point of getting the new email address--the Blogger account automatically set the login name to this real name. Annoying enough, but since the displayed username and email were still pseudonymous, I figured that "only" Google would have total control over my internet activities.

Here's the extra-annoying part: since I have this new sort of Google-tagged Blogger account, every single time I try to get into Blogger, I get shunted over to the Blogger Beta login page, am forced to try to "switch over" into a Google-supported Blogger account, have to sign their bloody "Terms and Conditions," am told that "they are unable to fulfill my request to switch over at this time," and THEN I can get into my old Blogger account.

I think I've agreed to their terms and conditions about four times by now; the more I have to agree to them, the less willing I'm getting to abide by them. Way to chase customers away, Google-owned Blogger Beta.

4 Comments:

Blogger eb:

I don't understand this, but it doesn't sound good. How is blogger beta different than blogger? I thought google bought blogger a while ago. (I don't have a gmail account, so maybe that's why I haven't run into this.)

8/18/2006 06:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous:

Do you sign out after using gmail? It sounds like Blogger sniffs for a gmail cookie and assumes you want the Google login interface. You're being "remembered" on Blogger even though you don't want to be.

8/19/2006 09:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous:

Typepad's $5 a month, if you can't take the Blogger any more.

8/22/2006 07:20:00 AM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

Maybe I'll trying getting rid of all my cookies. And yes, Steve, I'm thinking about Typepad. All the time.

Sorry for replying so late: all of my network protocols mysteriously got hashed, and I've spent the last four days talking to tech support people. (One suggested I buy a new modem, another tried to sell me Windows XP, another suggested I needed to reinstall, oh, everything, several others washed their hands of everything...)

I need to sort out this google empire thing, though.

8/22/2006 05:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home