Sunday, January 07, 2007

It Looks Like Winter

The light was right--that grayish, diagonal light that makes water and sky seem equally comfortable--but everything else was strange.

I took this picture on Saturday, January 6, at about 3pm, when the temperature was over seventy degrees. Young women were wandering the streets in miniskirts, young men in T-shirts; older people wore their raincoats (not their winter coats) dashingly open as they loitered on stoops or dined on restaurant terraces.

Most people know, I'd venture, that this one particular weird day isn't directly attributable to global warming. But this one particular weird day, on top of a December without any snow on the East Coast, on top of predictions that this coming year will be the hottest on record, on top of freakishly awful weather in the West--well, I'm starting to hear some rumblings of concern.

This is, by the way, the view from my computer at home. I'm really fond of those water-towers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous:

Concern.

1/08/2007 09:01:00 AM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

I heard on the radio recently that ski resorts in Eastern Canada laid off hundreds of workers: no snow.

It really might be starting. By "it" I mean the spiral into irreversible change. I've been expecting it someday all my life, but I'd gotten used to thinking of it as over the horizen and perhaps preventable. Well.

1/08/2007 01:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home