Thursday, January 04, 2007

UnfoggeDCon

So, last weekend, I caught a Chinatown bus down to Washington DC to go to a bloggers' party. It's the first meet-up I've travelled any significant distance to make. There's something incontrovertible about taking a bus for four hours to see people one knows almost solely from online.

My gracious hosts:
the charming and all-around awesome Becks,
the kind and sexy Catherine,
the pugnacious, flirtacious (and surprisingly musical!) Spencer Ackerman,
the very bearded, bon vivant, and good-people Kriston Capps,
and the prolific, respected, but alas-unmet-by-this reporter Matthew Yslesias.

In Attendance:
The red-headed sign of the end time, the Apostropher,
The often-obscure and oblivious to rhythm Ben Wolfson (of whom I grow more fond),
The well-endowed and, surprising to me (I don't know why), bespectacled Bitch, BhD,
The very gentle and intelligent eb (who's looking for a place to rent in DC, if you can help him out),
The awesome, warm, singin' M. Leblanc,
The very fit and sane libertarian I read everyday, Jim Henley,
The fashionable and formidable Belle Waring,
The famously prolix John Holbo,
The surprisingly young and very nice Scott Eric Kaufman,
The dancin' machine Neil the Ethical Werewolf, who has the signal honor of having exposed his nipples to a Presidential candidate's wife (check the linked thread),
The Kant-nerd, patientest person on the web, and all-around awesome human being hilzoy,
The real-life libertarian and charmer Julian Sanchez,
The GITMO lawyer, eminently sane commenter, and warm and generous person CharleyCarp,
One jack mormon willing to pass along a CATO institute card to humor another, Will Wilkinson,
The very tall, very pseudonymous, very pre-tenured, and very blackmailable, Fontana Labs

There were lots of wonderful people without blogs in attendance:
Arthegall, to whom I apologize for having repeatedly confused with my high school friend (whom I really do see everywhere),
Sommer, who is just lovely,
Stanley, of the amazing Brigham Young beard,
Eekbeat, Stanley's universally acclaimed better half,
Chopper, of the home-cured bacon and 47-minute shaggy-dog jokes,
Sir Kraab, whom I wish I'd talked with more,
M/tch M/lls, who looked so surprisingly upstanding.

And now I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, or neglecting someone's website. That's what comments are for, people!

UPDATE: It appears that I have neglected the very charming, couch-stealing Matt Ficke, and the websites of Sommer and Stanley. Apologies to all!

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous:

Shhh! Also, I'm no longer in search of a place. Well, not that kind of place.

1/05/2007 01:41:00 AM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

Shall I edit something out? You've found an apartment? Well, that's wonderful news.

1/05/2007 01:49:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous:

I've been leaving the answer to the question of my attendance unsaid, if implied, but I suppose it's not really that great of a secret. And yes, not without a bit of short-term stress, I found a room.

[joke about the spelling of gentile omitted]

1/05/2007 02:26:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous:

You may continue at least a few of your interactions through your Web browser!

Meet Sommer and Stanley.

1/05/2007 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

eb, I'm not exactly sure what the secret here is, but I'll make sure I don't post pre-school pictures of you in the future.

'Smasher, thanks for the links!

1/05/2007 01:01:00 PM  
Blogger apostropher:

What degree is a BhD? Also, I think you accidentally put my description by her name.

1/05/2007 03:43:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

Doctorate in Biblical Hebrew. I forgot to capitalize the "h"--thanks for pointing that out!

1/05/2007 05:50:00 PM  
Blogger Neil Sinhababu:

There are some with whom I dance, who cause me to think - "This person dances quite well, but I can dance better!" And so I push my dancing to greater heights.

There are others with whom I dance, who cause me to think - "This person dances amazingly well, and it will be no crime against dancing if I neglect my own moves for some time, so as to fully soak in the glory of her stunning moves!"

You are most definitely in the latter category.

1/06/2007 03:14:00 AM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

You'll find the downbeat eventually, young Wolfson! And Neil, you're making me blush.

1/06/2007 04:08:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

Okay then, I will overcome my fear and listen.

1/07/2007 02:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous:

Sir Kraab, whom I wish I'd talked with more

You'll have a chance at this year's upcoming UnfoggedCon II, which will be held in Austin. We're going to call it "Unf by Unfogged".

M/tch M/lls, who looked so surprisingly upstanding.

Hmmm, that's basically what ogged said too. I didn't realize my online persona came across as so skeezy. Not sure whether I should work on that or just revel in it.

Also, what Neil said about your mad dance skillz. Mesmerizing.

1/07/2007 11:16:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

mad dance skillz

Sign of a misspent youth, I'm afraid.

It's not that your online persona is skeezy, really, so much as your real-life person strikes one as so serious and respectable. I just wouldn't have gauged you as being the sort of person to spend many days, many many days, dreaming up midget tribute band names. It's very wonderful!

1/07/2007 11:33:00 PM  
Blogger Matt:

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone

Ahem.

Was most excellent to meet you, glad you made it down. Never have I been so charmed by one who threatened to cut me.

1/08/2007 01:08:00 AM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

I didn't threaten to cut you in the prosaical sense, did I? Please tell me I haven't forgotten waving around a knife at some point in the evening.

As for the figurative cutting, it wasn't intentional! I'll come back down expressly to kick your ass if you continue to take it so!

1/08/2007 01:30:00 AM  
Blogger CharleyCarp:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1/08/2007 07:01:00 AM  
Blogger CharleyCarp:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1/08/2007 07:02:00 AM  
Blogger CharleyCarp:

This was the correct link. Third time's the charm.

1/08/2007 07:09:00 AM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

Thanks, CC!

1/08/2007 01:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home