Sunday, February 11, 2007

Shoes and the Soul

Out of the blue, my mother decided to send me a pair of these clogs. She did remarkably well: the color, style, and size are all great, even though I had never thought to desire clogs. Throughout my adult life, I've kept thinking I'm going to find the perfect shoe, elegant yet sturdy, fashionable yet hikeable---and so I've ended up owning a bunch of cute heels but actually wearing adidas aikido shoes. However, after a couple of days of walking around in these, I am ready to declare it: I was very wrong not to desire clogs. Simply standing upright in these shoes put some familiar, essential muscles back into line, and walking in them felt even better: more upright, more sane. It's February, and I want to wear sandals!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous:

I live in Southern California and have always refused to wear sandels and/with Denim Jeans.

Always shoes (Doc Martens, Vans) and/or trousers.

My last year of college, however converted me.

2/13/2007 01:04:00 PM  
Blogger Saheli:

Whoa. What are Aikido shoes?

2/13/2007 08:12:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

Like these, but I usually get the ones with the laces on the outside. Notice the 2 mm. soles?

2/13/2007 10:33:00 PM  
Blogger Saheli:

And you can wear those out on the street? The soles aren't too thin?

(do you do Aikido?)

2/13/2007 11:26:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

I don't do aikido. For many years, though, I practiced various disciplines of dance.

I don't entirely understand the objection to thin soles. When it's raining or when I know I'm going to walk more than a couple of miles, I'll probably wear different shoes. Wearing truly thin soles is like being barefoot, no more, no less. Most performance-hi-tech-springy sneakers I've tried have become problems rather than solutions within 6 months.

2/14/2007 12:19:00 AM  
Blogger Saheli:

Ah, I have somewhat soft feet (despite years of stamping on them for dance!) and outdoors being barefoot frequently bothers me. (Yes, I know, I am a shame to my people.) Very thin soles outside on concrete always leave me feeling a little exposed. . .
But inside, not at my house, I like them and those shoes do seem like they might let my feet move a little more.
Thanks for the info! Your new clogs are charming, btw.

2/14/2007 03:06:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown:

Very nice clogs..i love to wear sandals than clogs..thats very comfy for me..

10/19/2007 11:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home