Monday, April 10, 2006

Proactive Scapegoating?

The best comment yet on the Hersh article (linked below):
Sun-Tzu By: blackhedd
I don't have the exact quote from Sun-Tzu, but what I had in mind is that you won't have to fight if the other guy believes you are invincible, crazy, or both. Obviously Jefferson is right. But we have so mismanaged the expectations of others (thanks largely to the pacifist Left and the obstructionist Democrats and MSM) that we'll end up having to fight, and that is an unnecessary and disgraceful position to have let ourselves get into.

I guess it doesn't help to point out the pacifists are going to give us exactly what they claim they don't want. The irony will be lost on them, and they'll just say "I told you so." Too bad we don't hang traitors anymore.
This is a very exotic varietal of the stab-in-the-back, fifth-column argumentative genera! It needs its own classificatory name--since I suspect we're going to be seeing a lot more of it.

7 Comments:

Blogger CharleyCarp:

Reminded me of a line from Gravity's Rainbow, where one of the characters sees old graffitti: 'Was hast Du Heute fuer den Seig getan?'

While I was looking up to see which character saw it and where, I was reminded of Hobbes:

'No arts; no letters; no society; and which is worst of all, continual feare and danger of violent death; and the life of Man, solitary, poore, nasty, brutish, and short.'

It's kind of a strange jump from one to the other, but there's going to be a reading of poetry by Guantanamo prisoners on April 18 in NYC. I can get you details if you think you, or people you know, might be interested.

4/10/2006 01:41:00 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid:

Charleycarp: I'd like to know about that reading.

4/10/2006 02:16:00 PM  
Blogger The Modesto Kid:

Oh actually never mind -- I can't make it on the 18th.

4/10/2006 02:33:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

I'd like to know about the reading! God, how utterly depressed it will make me. Still, an event worth supporting.

4/10/2006 02:45:00 PM  
Blogger CharleyCarp:

This from the GBBA coordinator:

"The poetry reading at the Culture Project will be on Tuesday, April 18. It will take place after that evening's performance of "Guardians," a play about Lyndie England and Abu Ghraib. The Culture Project is hoping that anyone who's interested in attending the reading will purchase
tickets for the play, which you can do via Internet at http://www.45bleecker.com/tickets.html."

If I was going, I'd get you in just for the reading jack, but, coincidentally, I'll be at the prison that day.

4/10/2006 03:00:00 PM  
Blogger CharleyCarp:

And of course all of the poetry has been declassified by the US government . . .

4/10/2006 03:11:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

A play about Lyndie England at Abu Ghraib! What a disinticement! That press release has such curious language: if they're only "hoping" that people will purchase tickets for the play, does that mean that not purchasing tickets and simply showing up for the reading is an option? I'll check it out on the website....

Thanks for the info, for the subjunctive offer, and for the good work you do.

4/10/2006 03:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home