Friday, February 16, 2007

It's Come To Eat The Songbirds!


This morning when I woke up, I saw a giant dark shadow on my bedroom windowsill. I scrambled to get my glasses and my camera, and this magnificent beastie is what I saw. The hawk, who was very suspicious of me, flew away after I got this shot, and my windows are none too clean, and I haven't been birding for years ... but I think it's a red-tailed hawk. One of these guys. I think it really did come to eat the songbirds: my diagonally downstairs neighbor puts out enough birdseed to attract an air flotilla of little chirpers. Some of those are starlings--I'm sure of it!--but enough are ugly pigeons that I'm rooting for the hawk.

2 Comments:

Blogger Saheli:

That's a pretty snazzy picture, JM.Its eyes are super steely. I like the way the light catches on the bark patterns and the feathers.

2/18/2007 09:22:00 PM  
Blogger Marilee Scott:

I just wish my windows had been cleaner: a lot of the white-out effect is snow-residue. It's exciting to have a red-tailed hawk predating on the songbirds next door, though. I saw it flying lazily overhead just this afternoon.

2/19/2007 12:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home